Sunday, October 25, 2009

How to get person to seek treatment - extreme mental health issues?

Close family member desperately needs mental treatment: childhood seizures (not epilepsy) and behavioral probs. continued into adult issues including depression, paranoia, anxiety, anger, and reclusiveness, abandonment issues (adopted), real-world effects in daily life including homelessness, detachment from family and friends, unhealthy eating/sleeping habits, and occasional alcohol abuse. Refuses suggestions to go to dr. or hospital, last dr. who saw him was at least 3 yrs. ago. Years of this cycle have led us/some drs. to speculate bipolar disorder or even (mild) schizophrenia, but he hasn't opened up to a dr. or stuck w/ it long enough for good diagnosis; fears medication. NOW, he has gone through a breakup and is in VERY bad shape - all symptoms have returned, %26 acting distracted, seemingly unaware of the presence of others or not recognizing others (seems like act for attention but also serious), detachment, no eating, shaking, claiming "I'm fine" but OBVIOUSLY not. Now what?
Answer:
Tell the person that they are not alone and you're willing to go along with him or her to seek help.that's what my family done for me i'm Bipolar Disorder taking meds and feeling well for now .sometimes i have good and bad days .
how old is this person, maybe you can admit them into a mental health ward. but you definitely need to get some counseling for them.
take them to a therapist.
you can't make anyone seek treatment if they refuse. I've tried with my mother. The illness you're family member has is clouding his/her judgement or he/she may be in denial. If you are afraid he or she will may do harm to self, contact a Mobile Crisis center (look in phone book).
here's a website you will find helpful www.nami.org
i know it has helped me with my mom.
You know, this is what has always aggravated me about mental health issues. I rose above my problems and destroyed those demons that were destroying my mind and my life, but I can do nothing to help another. I have seen mental illness destroy more lives and there was only one life that I could save - my own.

Short of having someone committed to a hospital for being a danger to him/herself or another, not a lot can be done. Your family member has to make the choice to get better, just like I did. I wish I could give you some wise answer to your question. The best I can do is relate to your pain as someone who saw his wife destroyed by mental health issue and someone who nearly destroyed himself in the process. But aside from commitment, I fear that there is little more that you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

How to Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net