Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hyper activity in an infant?

I am a first time mom and my 2mnth old seems like she is ADD/hyper active, she always kicks in her sleep and, her whole body tenses up like colic but no crying and no pain. She just seems like a spring thats all wound up sometimes, like when I pick her up when shes sleeping she doesnt even lie against me she is all tensed up and I feel like Im carrying a solid mass of muscel not a baby. Or when I try and give her a bottle or nurse her I have to hold her hands down with force to get anywhere near her mouth, not like she doesnt want to eat but like shes too excited to realise there is food behind her hands. Just curious cause this is my first so I dont know whats normal, and her dad and his sister and her kids have ADD so I thought it was likeley but I wasnt sure. I do plan to ask her pediatrictian but I wanted to make sure this isnt normal baby stuff.
Thanks in advance
Answer:
I can't get into too much detail b/c you should definitely take her to a pediatrician. But having said that, I think that 2 months is waaaay too young to have ADD/hper activity. Since this is your first child, you have no grounds to compare her to your other children. She could very well be just fine...or she may have a problem that is not ADD. I personally have a problem with people (even doctors) who are quick to label a child ADD. This condition doesn't usually manifest itself until well into late chilhood and puberty. A 2-month-old's brain is not fully developed yet to have such problems or lack thereof. Some babies are just more hyper than others; some are quiet and reserved; some are fussy...but why put a label of an illness on her right away, even if genetics do play a role? You probably have a perfectly healthy baby girl who might be colicky or a bit tense. Just my two cents. Get her to a doctor though just to be on the safe side. Good luck.
i don't think you really have anything to be concerned about. i think it has to do with her being a baby and doing what most babies do and developing her own personality. most young children and babies are naturally excitable, easily distracted, and sometimes hyperactive, that is a completely normal part of childhood. and some kids are just stubborn and tense from the very start. it doesn't necessarily mean she has add or adhd. if this is really bothering you, go ahead and talk to a pediatrician about it. i'm sure they can help you out and give you some good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

How to Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net