Saturday, October 31, 2009

Howcome I get really really depressed when I am about to start my period?

I am taking prozac, and it is working, at least I think so and so does my family and husband but now I think that i am about to start my period and now I am starting to feel really depressed. I just want to cry. Sometimes I have horrible thoughts about ending everything. I dont want to die, but I think that my period is causing my depression to be worse. Is there anything that I can do. I have only been on prozac for 2-3 weeks. I hate feeling sad. I want to be happy again and I want to have my life the way it was. any helpful ideas? I am seeing a doc and a counslor.
Answer:
Hormones play a big role in how we feel and can make our emotions change or as some say cause PMS or make a person moody. I would suggest talking to your OB/GYN and perhaps having some blood test ran just to make sure your hormone levels are ok but this is typical before starting your period just as when a women is pregnant and right after she will experience many, many different mood changes, hence post- pardem depression. So just in case it would definitely would not hurt to make sure your levels are ok. I hope you start feeling better. It is up to your Dr. of course but often times even with these natural changes your body experiences your medication *might need to be adjusted. I am only 34 and went into menopause early (of course this is not your case. Mine was a medical issue) and was already on anti-depressants and I had no idea what I was in for. Fortunately, I was able to get on hormones and everything is ok now. I was astonished at how much it changed my moods. Your situation will be easier to control with med adjustments or help from your Dr. and the sooner you go the better. Talk to your husband if you can and explain that this occurs at this time if he is not aware and that could also help having his extra support during these times too. Good luck~
Your female hormones are letting you know that you are truly a woman. maybe it would be a good idea to talk about this with your doctor and check out your medication with him/her.
I'd ask your doctor.
Sounds like an extreme case of PMS.
HORMONES-just ride them out like a wave-this too shall pass
As for the Prozac, it takes more then 2-3 weeks for it to work, so you may have had a placebo effect. Look inside yourself and do some writing about the stressors in your life. You need to be gentle with yourself just before your period.
Oh, and one other thing, Prozac can CAUSE depression in some people, as everyone's chemical make-up is different, so be sure that the Prozac isn't making things worse for you!
(I am not a doctor but from personal experience I know that)
right before the period a lot of women get depressed, even if they do not suffer from depression. It is a very common pre-menstrural symptom, and it is oe of those that don't happen every time, sometimes you may get depressed, other times hyperactive, maybe angry etc.
If you recently started medication for depression it will probably take some time for your body to adjust to processing it at different times (stress, period etc) and adjust the hormones it is producing by itself...
It takes 4 or more weeks to get the full benefits of Prozac. Plus, hormones during this time are causing your emotions to swing. I, too, suffer from clinical depression and understand the feelings you are having. Realize that in a few days the blues will pass. Continue with your doc and counselor. Ask them for ways to get through the monthly "hormone" days. Good luck to you.
I want you to stop! Please get a glass of ice cold water! Take several deep breaths! now put on some relaxing music! Yeah, I'll admit that it's kind of strange to have a straight man who isn't a doctor answer your question. but you can make it trust me! I've seen several ex girlfriends survive much worse! If you need to vent and your husband and family won't be there for you, then you can contact me via Email. Or IM when i get that fixed! You can use The Email account associated with my Answers Account!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

How to Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net